This was a wonderful course and I have been applying these foundations myself. What a world of difference.
6 W.I.T.S. CECs / .6 IACET CEUs / 6 OFC CECs
This course combines classroom learning and practical training to teach you the most effective running techniques. You will learn to use the physiology of running to assess and achieve optimal running form. Topics include proper running technique, warm- up and cool down, stretching, foot type analysis and footwear, running surfaces, training program design, core stability, nutritional needs and injury prevention.
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Explain and demonstrate proper running technique.
- Identify and explain the “seven deadly sins” of running.
- Explain the importance of the warm-up and demonstrate proper warm-up techniques.
- Explain the importance of the cool down and demonstrate proper cool down techniques.
- Identify and discuss the primary reasons for stretching and demonstrate how to stretch effectively.
- Accurately analyze foot type and determine footwear needs.
- Identify and explain running shoe anatomy and compare the different components of a running shoe.
- Compare and contrast running surfaces including roads, trails, tracks and treadmills.
- Identify and explain the essential components of a running training program.
- Design an effective running training program.
- Discuss methods for varying a running training program and the importance of variety.
- Explain “core stability” and its importance to running.
- Identify and explain exercises for increasing core stability.
- Discuss the role of nutrition and nutrients to running performance.
- Identify common injuries associated with running, causes of common injuries and effective treatment and prevention strategies.