By: Soraya Cates Parr BS, CPT
Chronic lower respiratory disease, primarily COPD, was the third leading cause of death in the United States in 2011, according to the CDC. Also, the number of people with asthma continues to grow. Learn guidelines for working with pulmonary dysfunctional clients, breathing exercises, and how to help overcome the fear that accompanies an increased demand on the respiratory system. Learn how to effectively help these clients improve function and quality of life.
Education Level: Beginner – Intermediate
After completing this course you will be able to:
- Identify 17 terms and definitions pertaining to pulmonary function and disease.
- Briefly describe the role of oxygen in the human body.
- Discuss the role of exercise training in pulmonary function.
- Identify the divisions and basic anatomy of the respiratory system, and the muscles involved with inspiration and expiration.
- Describe pulmonary circulation and air flow/gas exchange in the human body.
- Describe 4 breathing exercises for clients with pulmonary dysfunction.
- Discuss 12 recommendations for working with clients with chronic pulmonary dysfunctions.
- Discuss 3 general categories of medication for pulmonary dysfunction, including side effects and effects on exercise.
- Discuss contraindications and symptoms for exercise termination for clients with pulmonary dysfunction.
- Describe symptoms and causes of asthma and the ACSM FITT-VP recommendations for individuals with asthma.
- Describe symptoms, 3 forms, causes, and 8 special considerations for clients with COPD and the ACSM FITT-VP recommendations for individuals with COPD.
- Discuss four other conditions that can affect the function of the respiratory system.
- Describe the affects of submersion and hydrostatic pressure, general recommendations, and 8 considerations for aquatic exercise for clients with pulmonary dysfunction.
# of Hours: 3
Successful completion of the quiz is necessary to receive Continuing Education Credit.
PEND Action Personal Trainer Certification
3.0 American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM)
3.0 Aquatic Exercise Association (AEA)
0.3 Aquatic Therapy & Rehabilitation Institute (ATRI)
0.3 Internat Assoc for Continuing Education and Training (IACET)
PEND National Association for Fitness Certification (NAFC)
1.5 National Council on Strength & Fitness (NCSF)
PEND National Federation of Professional Trainers (NFPT)
3.0 National Strength Professionals Association (NSPA)
3.0 World Instructor Training Schools (W.I.T.S.)