Turn Your Passion for Fitness Into a Rewarding CareerAre you looking to help others reach their fitness goals? In collaboration with the World Instructor Training Schools (W.I.T.S.), we offer a Personal Trainer Certification Program designed to help you start a successful career as a trainer. This six-week intensive workshop provides in-class theory and hands-on practical training. Virtual lectures cover anatomy, exercise physiology, biomechanics, nutrition and more. The in-person practical skill labs cover essential hands-on skills to master assessing clients, stretching, warm-ups/cool downs, exercise analysis with execution, and programming design. This course prepares students for the National Exam held on the sixth week. Test vouchers ($450 value) and extra access to our online CPT course to review lectures and labs included at no extra cost. Earn a Level 1 certification upon completion of the workshop and successfully passing the written, practical exams, and providing proof of current CPR certification*. Level 2 certification is achieved once you complete a 30-hour employer mentored internship.
Who Should Enroll
- Fitness enthusiasts or anyone seeking a new career in the health and fitness industry
- Understand and describe basic anatomy, kinesiology and exercise physiology
- Assess an individual’s level of fitness using ACSM guidelines
- Design and customize exercise programs
- Demonstrate proper execution of resistance, cardio-respiratory and flexibility exercises
- Identify and demonstrate at least one strength exercise for every major muscle group
- Explain ACSM and AHA recommendations for cardiovascular exercise
- Minimum 18 Years of age
- High School Diploma or GED
Additional InformationRequired textbook: Howley, Edward T. and Thompson, Dixie L. 2017. Fitness Professional’s Handbook. 7th Edition. Publisher: Human Kinetics, Champaign, IL. ON SALE while supply lasts – The e-book costs $70 and the cost for the hard cover version is $110, plus $15.95 for shipping. To order with W.I.T.S. click here while SALE supplies last. Amazon also has a rent a book set up. Check out Amazon textbooks here and save.
Employment OutlookThe U.S. Dept. of Labor predicts a 8% increase in employment projections for Fitness Trainers from 2014-2024. National average hourly wage is $25. Be your own boss! Supplement your current salary or work full time as a personal trainer.
Lectures (15 hours)
- Exercise Physiology
- Fundamentals of Anatomy
- Biomechanics and Applied Kinesiology
- Health Screenings
- Fitness Testing
- Cardiorespiratory Fitness and Exercise
- Muscular Strength and Endurance
Practical (15 hours)
- Fitness Assessments
- Client Rapport
- Biomechanics of Exercise
- Equipment Usages
- Weight Training Techniques
- Proof of current CPR (for issuance of certificate). This must be a live hands-on CPR/AED course. (Online courses will not be accepted.)
- Attendance is required to complete the training (1 missed class permitted)
- Passing grades on both the written and practical exams
- Completion of 30-hour practical internship (Level 2 Certification)
- Class Prerequisite: Must be at least 18 years of age and have received a high school diploma or GED certificate.