By: Aquatic Exercise Association
Older Adults comprise the fastest growing segment of the American population and aquatic exercise can help them maintain functional fitness and independent living skills. A thorough review of the physiological aspects of aging in this course will introduce aquatic fitness professionals to important considerations for providing safe and effective programming for the older adult population. This course includes programming and exercise descriptions with videos for three levels of senior aquatic programming to help you reach the needs of ALL older adults!
Education Level: Beginner – Intermediate
After completing this course you will be able to:
- Discuss variables and statistics related to aging.
- Define functional age and chronological age and discuss parameters for categorizing older adults.
- Identify 5 benefits of the aquatic environment for older adult exercise.
- Identify and discuss 5 major categories of physiological changes related to aging.
- Discuss marketing strategies for older adult aquatic exercise.
- Explain how aquatic fitness programs improve psychological and social quality for older adults.
- Identify the 4 components of an aquatic class for older adults.
- Describe special considerations for programming and limitations for older adults participating in aquatic exercise.
- Discuss skills desirable for an older adult aquatic exercise instructor including 3 ways to develop rapport and 4 skills to use during and after class.
- Review 3 sample aquatic workouts for older adults and explain safe and effective exercises for warm up, cardiorespiratory endurance and flexibility.
# of Hours: 5
Successful completion of the quiz is necessary to receive Continuing Education Credit.
0.5 Action Personal Trainer Certification
5.0 American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM)
0.5 American Kinesiotherapy Association (COPS-KT)
5.0 Aquatic Exercise Association (AEA)
0.5 Aquatic Therapy & Rehabilitation Institute (ATRI)
0.5 Internat Assoc for Continuing Education and Training (IACET)
5.0 International Sports Sciences Association (ISSA)
0.3 National Council for Certified Personal Trainers (NCCPT)
2.5 National Council on Strength & Fitness (NCSF)
0.5 National Federation of Professional Trainers (NFPT)
5.0 National Strength Professionals Association (NSPA)
5.0 World Instructor Training Schools (W.I.T.S.)