6 W.I.T.S. CECs
Course Description: This course will help you not only improve your fitness, health and performance, but also help your clients become more successful in meeting their sport-related fitness goals. You will learn the foundational principles of nutrition while applying practical sport-related knowledge. Throughout this online, self-paced course you will evaluate current topics in Sport and Exercise Nutrition and investigate how to best implement sound nutrition-based science into your daily training practices. This course is approved for 6 WITS CECs and 0.6 IACET CEUs. You must complete all course discussions, assignments, quizzes, complete a final project, and pass the final exam to earn the CECs/CEUs.
After successfully completing this course, you will be able to:
- Evaluate the importance of carbohydrate for athletic performance.
- Calculate the amount of protein recommended for athletes daily.
- Identify potential problems with taking in too much or too little protein.
- Describe how fat is used to fuel exercise.
- Identify basic information about vitamins including how they function.
- Explain the differences between vitamins and minerals.
- Describe the general guidelines for water and sodium intake before, during, and after exercise.
- List factors that affect water and electrolyte balance in athletes.
- Identify the goals of sport nutrition and how they build on general nutrition.
- Explain why sport nutrition is considered both an art and a science.
- Compare how sport nutrition fits into other sport-related professions.
- Describe how proper diet can help athletes lose weight without interfering with training or recovery.
- Describe how weight and body composition relate to performance.
- Identify the criteria for anorexia nervosa and other eating disorders.
Dunford, Marie. (2010) Fundamentals of Sport and Exercise Nutrition
Available in hard copy and ebook
Buy The Book