Medical Fitness Specialist Certification
This 30-hour certification (30 CECs) is an advanced certification for fitness professionals and other types of health occupations like therapists. If you are ready to take the next step in your career and offer new services to a wide variety of clients, then this program will prepare you to succeed. You will learn in this challenging exercise course the core essentials of helping clients with specialized chronic illness. You will be able to practically apply the knowledge in programming safe and effective workouts. Nothing is more rewarding than working with the medical community to do great things for people with special medical issues. This MFS Level 1 Certification includes a written core exam and a practical case scenario exam to demonstrate operational safe and effective competency.
Upon successful completion of the Medical Fitness Specialist course, students will be able to:
- Prescribe physical activity or exercise for individuals with chronic conditions or disabilities.
- Utilize a multi-disciplinary approach to provide clients with chronic conditions or disabilities quality physical activity options.
- Understand the importance of professional networking as it pertains to the collaborative treatment of individuals with chronic conditions or disabilities.
- Evaluate the health status of individuals with chronic conditions or disabilities.
- Identify common medications prescribed to treat a variety of chronic conditions or disabilities.
- Modify existing exercise programming for newly diagnosed individuals.
Course topics include:
- 15 hours of core knowledge lectures
- 15 hours of practical knowledge in program development
- Exercise Is Medicine in Chronic Care
- Basic Physical Activity and Exercise Recommendations for Persons With Chronic Conditions
- Art of Clinical Exercise Programming
- Art of Exercise Medicine: Counseling and Socioecological Factors
- Approach to the Common Chronic Conditions
- Chronic Conditions Strongly Associated With Physical Inactivity
- Chronic Conditions Very Strongly Associated With Tobacco
- Cancer, Significant Sequelae Related to Common Chronic Conditions
- Depression and Anxiety Disorders.
Who Should Enroll:
- Fitness professionals, college students in similar fields, massage therapists and other related fields like occupational therapists
- Minimum 18 Years of age
- High School Diploma or GED
- Preferably with a personal trainer certification or a related degree
- Current CPR/AED Certification before being issued certification
- Textbook (Sold Separately) ACSM's Exercise Management for Persons with Chronic Diseases and Disabilities-4th, American College of Sports Medicine Geoffrey Moore J. Larry Durstine Patricia Painter, © 2016
- 30 CECs (Continuing Education Credits) Applicable to other W.I.T.S. renewals
- Certification issued by passing the online exams in core knowledge (multiple choice questions) and practical scenario applications in programming
- A Level 2 Medical Fitness Specialist is projected for late Fall 2021