Learn More: Candidate Handbook CPT (Level 1)
Suggested Readings: Howley, Edward T. and Thompson, Dixie L. 2017. Fitness Professional’s Handbook. 7th Edition. Publisher: Human Kinetics, Champaign, IL.
– Test Focus Areas – See chart for the written and practical areas below.
|Exam Content Outline: Written Examination|
|Domain 1:||Functional Anatomy and Biomechanics – 38%|
|Domain 2:||Client Assessment – 16%|
|Domain 3:||Exercise Prescription – 11%|
|Domain 4:||Muscular Fitness – 4%|
|Domain 5:||Cardio Respiratory – 4%|
|Domain 6:||Flexibility – 3%|
|Domain 7:||Business of Personal Training – 24%|
|Exam Content Outline: Practical Examination|
|Part 1:||Assessments – 21%|
|Part 2:||Warm Up – 8%|
|Part 3:||Flexibility – 39%|
|Part 4:||Upper and Lower Body Exercises – 32%|
- Understand and describe basic anatomy, kinesiology and exercise physiology
- Assess an individual’s level of fitness using ACSM guidelines
- Design and customize exercise programs
- Demonstrate proper execution of resistance, cardio-respiratory and flexibility exercises
- Identify and demonstrate at least one strength exercise for every major muscle group
- Explain ACSM and AHA recommendations for cardiovascular exercise
Candidates who failed must register 35 days prior to the examination date to guarantee acceptance at a testing site. Candidates who were unsuccessful on the written portion or practical portion may retake the examination within 12 months only two time during that timeframe at a reduced rate of $125 per exam. (W.I.T.S. Candidate Handbook, Re-examination, p15) Candidates may access the retake application on the website.