My involvement in social media has snuck up on me! Sure, I used Facebook to reconnect with old friends and become more connected and involved in the lives of my friends and family. But in the past year, I’ve found myself using social media for business purposes. I’m blogging, tweeting, following, friending, tagging, and all sorts of other things that I never expected to be doing! In the beginning, it felt overwhelming, but I’ve learned a few things that have made it more manageable that I thought I’d share. I’m hoping that you will share your tips too!
1. Be strategic about what you share and where. It is tempting to want to send everything everywhere. But it may not be the best approach. Figure out where your audience “hangs-out” in the social media world and go where they are with the messages that will interest them.
2. Separate your personal social media communications from your personal ones. There’s nothing wrong with letting your business audience get to know you on a personal level, but they don’t need to see pictures of you and your friends celebrating on a Friday night or be privy to your personal information and activities, or your friends’ activities—which you can’t control.
3. Work smart and not hard. There are free, scheduling tools like Hoot Suite that will allow you to schedule all of your twitter and facebook posts ahead of time so you can be more efficient with your time and resources.
4. Keep the “end” in mind! What do you want to accomplish with your social media efforts? More clients? More revenue? Stronger relationships with current clients? If you don’t know where you are going, you won’t know how to get there—nor will you know when you’ve arrived! So set goals and monitor progress!
5. Educate yourself! I’ve spent the last few months taking classes, participating in webinars, and following what my competitors are doing with their social media! There’s a lot to learn—but like anything else— it takes time, study, and practice!
To learn more about social media and how to use the different approaches more effectively to increase business, check out W.I.T.S. new classes in Facebook Marketing, Twitter, Internet Marketing, and You Tube! They are all customized for fitness industry professionals and mentored by successful, established professionals in the field!