Prior to the late 90s, when US Surgeon General C. Everett Koop declared in his annual report that “exercise is medicine,” people mostly pursued fitness for its cosmetic benefits and weight loss. Since then, the health benefits of fitness have superseded its role as a cosmetic intervention, and people are increasingly exercising to improve their health and quality of life, and to avoid premature death.
Consequently, the fitness industry is evolving and gaining recognition as a health care alternative, meaning that fitness certifications are more important than ever. If your fitness certifications are about to expire, or if they have already expired, here are 10 good reasons to renew now:
- Fitness is on a trajectory to becoming a recognized health profession, and certified professionals will have a head start in obtaining licensure or satisfying other credential requirements as the industry evolves.
- Fitness jobs like personal training or group exercise instruction are highly flexible. In today’s gig economy, having a fitness certification makes you eligible for short term gigs that bring in extra money when you really need it. Working in fitness is perfect for parents who need to work around their kids’ schedules, or anyone who wants to supplement their full-time income.
- Your professional fitness certification looks great on any resume or CV. It tells prospective employers that you care about your health, and the health of your family. For employers, that translates to better cognition, higher job performance and fewer sick days.
- If things don’t work out in your business or day job, the high demand for certified fitness professionals provides you with a Plan B, so you can keep working while you explore your options.
- Renewing your certification is much less expensive than retesting for a new one, especially with the convenient and affordable continuing education bundles and discounts offered by W.I.T.S.
- Maintaining your certification keeps you in the professional loop, and provides endless opportunities for networking and link building. You never know when your fitness connections will pay off.
- Being a certified fitness professional qualifies you for many volunteer positions, like working with youth or older adults.
- Your fitness certification can help you get into college, especially in fields related to health or athletics.
- Your fitness certification can be a stepping stone to higher-paying jobs in fitness, like club management or numerous online options.
- The demand for fitness is universal, and your certification can open doors wherever you go.
If you are sitting on the fence about renewing your certification, consider all the work you put into getting it in the first place. You chose a fitness career for a reason, and maybe it’s time to get back to your roots. Or maybe you never did anything with your cert, but it is never too late. Renew now, and keep the door open for the many future opportunities that are sure to come your way.
W.I.T.S. Makes It Easy to Renew!
At W.I.T.S., we want you to succeed. That’s why we created these great CEC bundles and renewal deals, to save you time and money!
- Hardship is considered too….
- Pay Pal zero interest for buying any packages
Renew today, and take pride in being a W.I.T.S. certified fitness professional!