After successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
1. Understand and describe basic anatomy, kinesiology and exercise physiology.
2. Assess an individual’s level of fitness using ACSM guidelines.
3. Design and customize exercise programs.
4. Demonstrate proper execution of resistance, cardio-respiratory and flexibility exercises.
5. Identify and demonstrate at least one strength exercise for every major muscle group.
6. Explain ACSM and AHA recommendations for cardiovascular exercise.
High school diploma or GED Required. This is a beginning level course. No pre-requisites are required. Students must obtain Adult CPR & AED certification in order to receive certification.
Methods of Instruction:
Lecture, demonstration, hands-on practice, skills assessments and final examination. Registered students receive course workbook and study guide and information on required course textbook. Students are also required to participate in a 30-hour internship.
Students must earn a score of 70% or higher on the written exam and in each of the 5 section practical exams. Attendance is required and students are only allowed one excused absence. Students with an excused absence must schedule a make-up session and complete any work assigned. Adult CPR/AED is required for the certification to be issued. Students are also required to complete a 30-hour internship. All items must be completed within 12 months of the original course start date. The renewal period is based on the original course completion dates.
- Exercise physiology, anatomy.
- Anatomy, kinesiology.
- Nutrition, health screening, testing, cardio-respiratory fitness.
- Flexibility, strength and endurance, special populations.
- Adherence, motivation, musculoskeletal injuries, legal guidelines.
- Medical history and screening.
- Interview techniques and goal setting.
- Fitness testing protocols.
- Exercise prescription, equipment use.
- Resistance training techniques, program design.
College Credits & Continuing Education Units for these Professions:
* 3 undergraduate academic credits by the American Council on Education.
* 6.0 IACET: International Association of Continuing Education and Training for CEUs for many
state nurses, therapists etc.
* 6.0 BOC: Board of Certification Process CEUs for Athletic Trainers
* 6.0 AOTA: American Occupational Therapy Process CEUs
* 1.5 NCBTMB: National Certifying Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork
* 60 W.I.T.S. Continuing Education Credits
A student page has been created for all kinds of extras for current LIVE class students. Registered students also receive discounts on ONLINE study tools and practice exams. Students who do not pass the course the first time can retake the course without extra cost in most sites and re-test for a nominal fee.
* Adult CPR and AED is required for the certification to be issued. It may be completed before or after the course and the exams. Results will be issued but no certificate without the proof of CPR and AED.
Unique Extra's for your success in the W.I.T.S. certification course:
- Student workbook (included no charge).
- Student study guide (included no charge).
- Online interactive lectures and practical labs (discounted) for LIVE course study tools .
- Prometric International retest sites: $75.00 US/Canada & $85 international fee.
- Permanent year round college sites nationally.
- Practical skills competency retest only $75.00
Special Note: If you are not near a college site please check out our
Blended / Hybrid Personal Trainer program to pursue your career goals.
SPECIAL NOTE: The certification is eligible for Workforce Investment Act funding and Veteran's Educational Benefits in many states. Interested applicants should check with the college listed, your local Workforce Investment Board or Veteran's Administration offices for additional information.